Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Final Blog of the Semester

Whew! What a semester! As many students have expressed in their blogs, it feels great to finish this course particularly since my energy is sapped due to the hot weather.

Here are some of my thoughts on the final exam. Some students were very creative on their answers and thought outside the box. For example, responses to the Virginia Tech question included ideas like IPv6-based and wireless CCTV, computer simulation, smartphones, metal detectors and the semantic web. I am not sure if we actually covered all of these in class but I was quite impressed.

I am glad that students picked up on the fact that technology is not the only solution. Again with the Virginia Tech question, some students suggested changing the gun laws, arming professors (huh?) and student personality screening. When I look for solutions in general, I look in terms of people (e.g. human factors, security clearances), process (e.g policies, standards, training) and technology.

Unfortunately, quite a few students did not heed my warning and treated the final just like a series of discussion thread questions. I did not check the length but my guess is that some responses were just over 100 words. It was also unfortunate that students stopped listing technologies after just mentioning one or two. I was looking for breadth (as well as depth) of technical knowledge.

One last thing about the final. A couple of students did not answer the last question of the exam on which student paper had the most influence. To them, perhaps none of the papers had any influence? Oh, yes, before I forget, Doris Murrel's paper on "Internet Abuse in the Workplace" was cited by most students as having the greatest influence. I don't have an award for you, Doris, but you can stand proud knowing that others were impacted by your research work.

As for the group presentations, many groups showed a lot of creativity and energy. However, certain groups did not address the questions completely, overlooked including a conclusion (I feel that ALL presentations should have a conclusion) and the lack of consistency slide to slide. I am sure there are some disappointed people out there but this will hopefully be a good learning experience when it comes to online group projects. They are never easy!

Most students did a fine job on their individual papers. I am sure you discovered that in completing the last question of the final. There were some really stimulating subjects covered. Too bad not everyone posted their papers early.

As we put a close on this semester, I suggest you reflect on your new knowledge and skills you have gained in this class. I hope you have a better idea about blogs, wikis, social networks, avatars, data flow diagrams (maybe not?) and OLAP by now.

Best wishes for a most successful career and a fulfilling life!

And for those of you who are graduating...

No comments: